Saturday, June 12, 2010

After almost exactly a year after taking my Nursing Board Exam, I enrolled at an IVT Training at a hospital near our home. Yes, the perpetual laggard is a laggard no more. Almost all of my friends (those who are not stuck in a call center) have already undergone the said seminar and I'd be lying if I said that I didn't feel left behind. Plus, being able to initiate an IV line to a person an interesting skill to have, not to mention lifesaving. Plus plus, most hospitals require the green IV Therapist card given by ANSAP.

So anyways, in a nutshell, I thought the 3 day seminar will going to consist of various techniques and procedures on how to choose and hit the vein correctly. Also, I expected that we will be given tips on how to manage common complications in an IV line, how to be an IV guru, so on and so forth. In short, I thought the sacred secrets of IV initiation and management, things that were never shared with us when we were in college because it is reserved only for the worthy registered ones, will be imparted upon us. Heck, no.

Because of my wrong expectations, that I was a bit bored with the training. For a day and a half, things we already know were reiterated in the lecture like functions of fluid in the body etc. etc. I found myself more interested in the lecturer's personal tales in the hospital and tips on how to get a job and NOT volunteer. 95% of the participants are registered bums. Ouch.

2nd day was the demo day. I was further disappointed with it because (grouped into 12) we were the one tasked to perform the procedures and demo it to the whole class. I think it would be proper if the proctors did the demo themselves so that we could learn more from it rather than have us watch fellow participants who don't know half of what they are doing. Just my 2 cents. The preceptors did correct wrong techniques and after major tiptoeing and squeezing myself between other participants to get a better view I finally learned the proper steps on initiating an IV line and administering medication through Heparin-lock that I never got when I was in college.


3rd day was return demo day. It was hot (Air conditioning 'broken' for the third day. Boo.) and toxic but we all survived. My one-on-one I-prick-you-you-prick-me session was weird. The preceptor was exceedingly helpful that she was technically the one who managed to insert the catheter into the vein and not me. I still got a perfect score though but felt as if I was still inadequate to do the job right. I definitely need more practice. Any takers?

Completion duty to go and all I have to do is wait for my ANSAP card. Hopefully, my schedule will not interfere with my training schedule for another hospital. Feels awesome to be a nurse again.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually I believe mag kaka confidence ka lang if you insert more often. you'll develop "touch" when you insert. ako nga ive tried to insert a couple of times and there are times na unsuccessful lalo na pag small yung vein or senior citizen (madaling mag bulge). hehehe. just sharing my experience.
where did you take your ivt trng? and san yung traing mo in another hospital?

Clarriscent said...

@ Anonymous: Thank you for sharing your experience. :) Sorry, I'd rather keep those information private. I don't want to defile the reputation of an institution just in case I happen to share not-so-perfect moments I had / will have with them. Thanks for reading and commenting! :)

Anonymous said...

Ya I know. Just wanna ask where are you training right now? do they still accept for next batch? thanks

Clarriscent said...

IVT Seminar? I trained in a hospital here in Rizal. They will be conducting one every month until December. Leave your email add / twitter or anything and I'll mail you the name and contact number of the hosp. :)

Anonymous said...

how about one that is not for IVT, like the Basic Skills training. you mentioned "my schedule will not interfere with my training schedule for another hospital." pls email me at tbv3980@yahoo.com
tnx

Clarriscent said...

@ anonymous: http://orchestroscopy.blogspot.com/2010/05/quirino-memorial-medical-center.html

charm said...

hello, your blog is informative and entertaining...thanks for the info about ivt training...i still have to take my basic ivt...i am a second courser...i just want to ask if what is usually worn during the 3 days training and for the completion of cases? thanks so much

Clarriscent said...

@Charm: Hi, thanks for reading my post. It depends on the institute conducting the seminar. Some hospitals require the participants to wear white clinical uniforms throughout the 3 day training. In my case, our first and second day were only casual wear then on our third day (return demo day) we got to choose between wearing a scrub suit or white clinical uniform. Hope this helps..

Rhianne said...

NICE BLOG...THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE INFORMATION YOU ARE SHARING HERE...I STILL HAVE TO ATTEND IVT TRAINING, I WOULD LIKE TO ASK FOR THE COMPLETION OF CASES, HOW IS IT USUALLY DONE? DO I HAVE TO UNDERGO HOSPITAL DUTY WITH SHIFTING HOURS FOR THE COMPLETION OF CASES? ARE SCHEDULES GIVEN FOR THE COMPLETION? THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP...GOD BLESS

Clarriscent said...

@Rhianne: THe completion of cases depends on the hospital you will be undergoing your training in. Normally, after the 3-day seminar, completion duties will be scheduled, for me, it was minimum of 1 day max of 3 days in the SAME hospital you underwent the seminar. I think it is now an ANSAP policy. Don't fret about the completion, most hospitals just give the cases to you if there is none available on the time of your completion duty. :)

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin